Deploying a wireless network solution for a hospital or school environment is a bit more complex than just setting up a few wireless routers. The larger your campus and the more users, devices, and applications you want to run, the more you’ll need to think through the wireless design (get wireless design help here).
Common Mistakes with Wireless Network Design:
1) No wireless site survey - You don’t always need an onsite wireless site survey. But you at least need a predictive wireless plan to tell you what kind of coverage to expect and how many access points you’ll need.
2) No plan for the future - do you see more wireless applications in your future? (Consider that the iPad was just introduced in 2010). The shelf life of your wireless system will be 3-4 years; think about forecasting the devices that will be added to the network in that period of time so you can be ready.
3) Coverage yes, Capacity & Performance, Not so much - Consider the high density areas and how many devices your system can realistically support (capacity) as well as the types of applications like wireless VoIP that require high performance levels. It’s more than just making sure you have an RF signal in those areas.
4) Security is later - Putting in a wireless network is like installing network jacks on the outside of your building if it’s not secured properly. You want a system that has integrated security, role based access control, and wireless intrusion prevention.
5) No Analytics - How many users are connecting to your network? How many devices and what type of devices are connecting? These are critical things you have to know to manage a large scale wireless system.
6) The Wrong Equipment - Wireless system manufactures vary heavily in features offered and in what their systems were designed to do. Most were designed for a specific market (i.e. Retail, Manufacturing, or Hospitals). Be sure to select a vendor that has designed a system for your environment, to handle your applications.
7) Not using with a deployment partner - Don't jump right into wireless. It’s important to have a partner that can help with planning, design, deployment, and support.
At SecurEdge we Design, Deploy, and Support large scale wireless networks. If you need help with wireless network design feel free to contact us here. We offer many of those services at no charge to you. We also have a number of free resources for you to access on our site.