The bring your own device phenomenon has hit the scene with force in part because it allows users to be mobile without putting large expenditures on the organization and in part because associates and students are demanding the change.
However, allowing users to have access to company data and certain applications on untrusted devices can be an obvious security concern. In an educational environment it can certainly raise anxiety since students do not have proper web filtering needed to manage their access to unwanted sites. Regardless of the industry in question, compliance issues stand present and the proper Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution can be a simple useful addition to mitigate risk.
Key Features to look for when implementing an MDM platform for your BYOD solution include:
- Configuration: Configuration should take place from a centralized point and should be configured to designate device ownership, set up device security such as passcodes and encryption, lock a user from removing a device profile and create app allowance, restriction or removal.
- Provisioning: Provisioning equates to letting users self-service enroll, select apps from an app catalog and perform self-help functions while letting administrators push policies and apps automatically to users.
- Securing: Securing includes location and tracking of devices and setting auto-lock policies on devices after a specified period of time. Security also encompasses the aspect of creating automated actions of wiping devices if needed.
- Supporting: Administrators should be provided self-help functions for mobile users such as responding to system alerts or drilling down to easily remedy device issues individually or by group.
- Monitoring/Reporting: Usage issues such as roaming and inactivity of devices as well as deployment statuses and alerts can allow administrators to know quickly and easily what is happening with devices on the network.
- Decommissioning: Selectively wiping devices or fully wiping corporate devices is what should be include in the decommissioning feature of the MDM program so revoking access is easy and manageable.
Bring your own device empowers people to work anywhere and the proper mobile device management program takes that goal a step further and allows people to work and collaborate from anywhere securely.
You probably also know that security and management is a big issue. That’s why you need mobile device management. It can help ease your IT’s stress from BYOD.
Here at SecurEdge, we specialize in creating these large scale wireless networks that maintain the highest level of security, which mobile device management happens to be a big piece of. If you’re organization is looking for help implementing BYOD securely, you can simply contact us here! We would be happy to answer any questions. Our goal is to be a resource for you!