BYOD (bring your own device) is when organizations allow users access to the network with their personal devices. Whether it is students, employees, doctors, guests, etc. the fact is these people expect your secure wireless network to support their devices. In this increasingly tech-savvy society, successful BYOD network designs are becoming the expectation. There are a ton of surveys and forecasts about how mobile we are becoming and these 10 stats show you just that and how present and imminent BYOD is now.
- 85% of organizations allow employees to bring their own devices to work. –IDG Research Services Tweet this Stat
- Analysts have forecasted that, by 2016, worldwide shipments of smartphones will reach 480 million, with 65% being used in bring-your-own device environments. - Analyst firm IDC Tweet this Stat
- By 2015 the number of mobile devices will have grown to over 2 billion worldwide, a 300% increase from 2009.-ABI Research Tweet this Stat
- 38 percent of companies expect to stop providing devices to workers by 2016.—Gartner Tweet this Stat
- Apple sold more iPhones, iPads and iPod touches in 2011 than it sold Macintosh computers during the company’s 28-year history.—Gartner Tweet this Stat
- More than 50% of organizations rely on their users to protect personally owned devices. —SANS Institute Research Survey Tweet this Stat
- Smart device popularity drives opportunity for mobile app stores which by 2016 will reach 310 billion downloads and $74 billion in revenue. —Gartner Tweet this Stat
- Gartner estimates that tablet production will grow from slightly fewer than 120 million units to more than 370 million units in 2016. Smartphone production to increase from approximately 650 million units in 2012 to more than 1.3 billion units in 2016 —Gartner Tweet this Stat
- 53% of information users use their own personal devices for work; install unsupported software; or use unsupported Internet based services like Dropbox, Skype, Twitter, or Facebook to help them do their jobs.—Forrester Tweet this Stat
- Over 70% of mobile professionals will conduct their work on personal smart devices by 2018.-Forrester Tweet this Stat
Our beloved technology is a part of just about every aspect of our lives these days. Many of us have become dependent of them for nearly everything, shopping, education, entertainment, communication, social interaction, travel, work, health; the list goes on and on. This generation is particularly tech-savvy. BYOD started out in the enterprise industry has rapidly spread to education, healthcare, and other industries as well. BYOD is an inevitable solution for just about every industry, so if you haven’t started planning and prepping yet, you better get ready, because it’s coming.
A holistic approach is needed so a lot of planning is required on the front end to have a successful and secure BYOD solution. Therefore specific wireless and security expertise are required and that’s where we can help. If you have any questions about BYOD or how to get started with a successful and most importantly a secure solution for your wireless network infrastructure you may contact us here. We’ve designed, deployed, and currently support hundreds of BYOD wireless networks around the country and across all industries, particularly education, healthcare, and retail. We are always happy to help! Good luck!